Lodge No. 1539, L.O.O.M., was instituted June 18, 1914, with a charter
membership of 50 loyal Moose, banded together under the leadership of the late
B. Harvey Smith, serving as the first appointed dictator to carry on the work
of the our great leader, Honorable James J. Davis, Director General and Founder
of the Loyal Order of Moose. Honorable
James J. Davis’ foresight for the future generations and the observance of the
American flag, the welfare of the child whose future depended solely upon the
environments and conditions in which our children are educated. Brother Davis
conceived the idea for an ideal home for the children whose parents were called
to the great beyond. Under this direction, the Board of Governors were called
together into a conference, whereupon 1,023 acres were recommended to be
purchased between Batavia, Illinois and Aurora, Illinois, in the beautiful Fox
River Valley where today, Mooseheart, the city of childhood, over 196 children
from all parts of the United States and Canada are being housed, schooled and
trained to the respective trades and business courses given to them through the
help of each individual member who is in good standing with the Loyal Order of
Moose. Realizing that this work has just begun and wishing to share our burden
with others with this worthy cause for the child who we may look forward to in
future generations with pride as patriotic men and women of this universe.
Mindful that in our growing fraternity, hardships befall many and as age creeps
upon us together with poverty, with nothing more but to live in distress,
discontent waiting for the grim reaper to call us to the great beyond. Again
seeing the visions for the aged, Mooseheart Governors again assembled for a
conference, and in January 1921, one hundred and seventy five acres were
purchased at Orange Park, Florida 10 miles from Jacksonville on the beautiful
St. John’s River, were today we have over 227 who will live their happy
declining days together in peace and contentment through the board efforts and
leaders of our great Fraternity. In comprising this great Fraternity,
Sellersville Lodge No. 1539, as a unit has developed a keen vision to do its
part of the future burdens that may be required to carry on the work.
Sellersville Lodge 1539, L.O.O.M.,
was organized by William Fryling of Doylestown and was instituted in the former
Dutch Club located on Main Street, off Fairview Avenue. The first officers
Dictator Harry B. Smith
Past Dictator William Hill
Prelate Robert Taylor
Secretary William H. Becker
Treasurer Joseph Hunsberger
Sergeant at Arms Lester Gardner
Outer Guard Joseph Loeffler, Jr.
Inside Guard Gervasf Martin
Trustees Jacob R. Esser
Joseph S. Kline
The Lodge moved to the Bilger Building adjacent to the present Sellersville Movie
Theater. The meetings were held on the second floor, with rent set at $10.00
On April 14, 1921, the Lodge was moved to the former Walz residence at 75 N. Main
Street, which is now the location of the Sellersville American Legion. When
purchased, the building was a six-room house, which was then renovated. In
April 1928, a rear annex was completed. This annex was used as the Grill Room
and auditorium. In 1965, this annex was completely renovated for the benefit of
With increased participation by our member, and ever-growing membership, the Board of Officers undertook the responsibility of finding new quarters to satisfy our
The former Pittman building was purchased, and in the early months of 1978, the
Lodge was moved to its present location of 301 W. Park Avenue. This new
location offers much improved Lodge and social quarters. It offers easy access
for our members with improved parking facilities. In addition to the fine building,
the Lodge has made available a park for our members’ use.
From a charter membership of only 50 members, our Lodge has grown to a membership of
over 1053 members of the Loyal Order of Moose.
Out of the 66 past Governors, there are still 20 surviving past Governors with us.
They are Willard Loux, Fred Koehler, Bruce Berger, Thomas Loughridge, Douglas
Lachman, Gerald Erb, Gary Burke, John Geiger Jr., Russell Handy Sr., Eles
Barnes Jr., William Kozma, Deane Hamm, Raymond Polichetti, George Keefer,
Charles Staley, William Henry, Steve Wampole, Phillip Febus, Alan Erney, Robert
D. Windsor Jr.
There were eight Secretaries, none of which are surviving. This position is now known
as the Administrator. There are 1 surviving past Administrator John Geiger Jr.
and the current Administrator Phil Febus.
There are four Degrees in the Loyal Order of Moose: The Lodge, The Legion of the
Moose, Fellowship Degree and Pilgrim Degree.
Fellowship (an Honorary Degree) is given only to members who belong to the
Legion of the Moose and through their enthusiasm and efforts have contributed
outstanding service for the advancement of Sellersville Lodge. There are 23
members holding the Fellowship Degree in Sellersville Lodge 1539.
Pilgrim Degree, the highest Degree of the Order, is received only in the House
of God at Mooseheart. It is given to members who belong to the Legion of the
Moose, and hold the Fellowship Degree, and who through their exceptional
contributions to the program of the Local Lodges, as well as District and State
activities, receive the Degree from the Pilgrim Council of the Supreme Lodge.
Sellersville has six Pilgrims. They are: Fed Koehler, Bruce Berger, John Geiger
Jr., Gerald Erb, William Kozma, and Deane Hamm.
at Sellersville are proud of our past accomplishments and look forward to the
challenges of the future. We welcome you
to our 100th Anniversary celebration of Moose progress to the members of our
Lodge and service to our community.